Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Forrester Inn . . . Eco-Inn and Responsible Travel

The last year and a half has all been a bit of a blur for me here in Malawi; personally mostly but also professionally. I left World University Service of Canada at the end of February 2011 very disillusioned with the organization and just a bit tired of the not-for-profit world. With everything that had happened to me since my arrival in January 2010, I was ready to pack it in. But I'm still here . . .

In January, a gentleman who works in Property Development and Management among other enterprises in Lilongwe (and also in the UK and India) that I had been doing consulting work for on the side offered me an opportunity. He owned a large house in Area 9 that had sat vacant for the last 6 months. 'Write me a proposal' he said, 'and if its viable, you can turn it into a lodge.' So that's what I've been doing the last six months. My spin was turning it into an eco-lodge (environmentally friendly) that also follows the principles of responsible travel. We are pretty much set up now, as a lodge; and the environmentally friendly principles will be implemented as we continue to establish. Some of these will include: water recycling, solar power, fresh organic produce grown on-site, our own hens, composting, recycling and partnerships with local organizations. We are close to opening and have our first guest right now in the initial stages. Which means I am managing director, driver, and cook extraordinaire. I am tired. But I am very happy with how things are shaping up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


In other news - the puppies are now 5 weeks old, cute as anything and little trouble makers. I have homes for all of them, and while I will be crushed to give them up, they are EXHAUSTING me. Mind you, my beautiful cousin Rachel just had twins - so I guess I shouldn't complain.

My gangster Toyota Corolla has been retired, and I have gotten a PURPLE Honda CRV. I feel very white ('Mzungu' in the local language 'Chichewa' - hence the name of my blog) and very expat-esc driving it around. It is far more practical however.

 


X
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lesley said...

It looks beautiful Leanne-you have done an awesome job on getting it ready-I hope it is a successful venture now it is just about ready to "go viral"...