Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Keep Calm and Carry On

While we are on the topic of mantras; this is one I’ve been trying out. God knows, I’ve struggled with it. It’s very difficult to not let things get to me, but I’m trying. With the issues and challenges I have faced over the last few months; I wish I had remembered to run it over in my head more frequently.

In a completely different scenario, I found I had to run this saying over in my head this morning as I was looking for office furniture. I had a pamphlet from my boss for a place called ‘Dyco’ he had visited several years back. When I arrived I found out it was an office, not a showroom. This is pretty much how our conversation went:

Me: Do you sell office furniture?
Man at desk: Yes
Me: Do you have a showroom where I can see the furniture?
Man at desk: Not really. This is one of our desks (points to desk he is sitting at)
Me: Do you have a price list?
Man at desk: What is it that you want?
Me: I need a lot of things. I need to know what you have available. What do you have?
Man at desk: Well, we have executive desks (*points to single photo hanging on the wall*)
Me: You don’t have a price list? Handout? Pamphlet? Catalog?
Man at desk: Not really
Me: *deep breath* Have a good day

These people can’t be serious. Holding down my frustration in situations like this that make absolutely no sense to me is a challenge. How do you EVER sell ANY furniture like that? But ‘Keep Calm and Carry On.’

Tomorrow is my last day in Harare . . . Here are a few things I’ve enjoyed here:

1. Footing it: When I lived in Toronto, I walked everywhere. I’ve spent the majority of my time in Harare walking – and loved it.
2. Being in a big city: Again, Toronto I miss you.
3. Spending time alone
4. Knowing no one and no one knowing me: It’s a nice change from the LLW scene.
5. SPAR: oh the selection . . . they even have a good selection of magazines!
6. Take-away coffee: Nothing beats browsing with coffee
7. Reading the newspaper: Favourite quote from Mugabe’s speech on Independence Day directed towards the former colonial power: “Shut your stupid mouths.” Bingu must have heard the speech and followed suit.
8. Bronte Garden Hotel: Where I have sat to use the internet every day. They have great salads and a beautiful garden – which has provided me with inspiration for my garden in Malawi.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

You are the "Queen of Calm" Leanne... A garden-I'm impressed!
Have safe trip back to lilongwe on Friday xoxox