Monday, April 18, 2011

"Meals and Miles . . . "

I‘ve wanted to set up a new blog for a while. My first blog I set up when I was headed to Malawi seemed to symbolize my “trip.” I felt like I needed a new blog to symbolize a new beginning, a new life. My last year has been trying to say the least. But it’s time to leave all that behind. Right now I’m in Harare, Zimbabwe. I’ve been sitting here all morning trying to find the inspiration I need to push myself and my life forward. The longer I sat here, the more it seemed to elude me. You can’t force inspiration, I know that. Over the last few months I’ve been trying and failing, trying and failing. But on this trip to Harare all on my own, I was determined to turn a corner.

As I sat here trying to set up my new blog, I messed around with the settings on my old one, and clicked on the “Stats” tab. This compiles the views, by month, week, where they came from etc. etc. As I scrolled down the websites of where views from my blog came, I came across a link to a blog I’d never heard of: “Meals and Miles.” So I clicked on it. I was surprised to find “Meals and Miles” belonged to my friend Carolyn who I lived in Swaziland with. I browsed through her blog which describes her running (and eating) journey to the marathon. As I scrolled through I found a photo of her running shoes. On her left shoe she had written “BELIEVE” and on her right shoe, “ACHIEVE.” As I looked at this photo I found myself getting choked up. Choked up being proud of her. Choked up because of all I had lost in myself over the last year. And a choked up because looking at these shoes I realized I could gain everything back and more.

So, for the challenges, trials and tribulations that lie ahead in the next year, I want to say ‘thank-you’ to Carolyn for the inspiration and the reminder. I can’t wait to get home to Malawi, and write the same thing on my runners.
xoxo

Carolyns Blog: http://mealsandmiles.wordpress.com/

2 comments:

Kermit Rider said...

I'll be reading the blog but I want to read the warts and all - mainly because you make me laugh!

I for one won't judge anyone on their successes without wanting to know how much effort they've put in to achieving that success, and nor will I judge on anyone's failures only with how they deal with them. We all have to deal with those from time to time.

Love you.

Rob
x

Lesley said...

Trials and tribulations are around every corner Leanne, what separates the chaf from the wheat is how much you stand your ground and don't get blown away in the wind. We all get tossed around -sometimes the wind is strong and we need to hold onto something for support, that's ok, it builds muscle....
You are strong and smart and funny and beautiful - inside and out, you are facing life head on, you don't hide in a corner or take the easy road-people shake their heads and wish they had the guts to do what you do. You are living your life and I am so proud of you.
I believe you will achieve whatever you set your mind to!
I love you and miss you very much. xoxoox