Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Running Hazard #957 in Malawi

Back in Toronto when I wanted to go for a run, I did. Didn’t really have to think about much. The biggest hazard was a bit of ice in the winter, or cars not looking before they made a right turn (ok, that one is a bit significant – I’ve definitely slammed my fist on a couple car hoods).

Malawi is a bit different. When, where, and for how long you run is dictated by a variety of factors. Time of day is the biggest issue because of the heat. If you run in the middle of the day in the unrelenting heat, as I have stupidly found out, you can get sick. So that leaves first thing in the morning before the 40 degree heat of the day has set in, but after the sun has risen so you are running in the daylight (usually my choice). Or, around 5:30pm, when it has cooled off (slightly) before it gets dark and you are unsafe on your own. That limits the time you are able to run as its dark by 6:30pm.

This now puts me onto ‘where’ you run, and my newest running hazard encountered. Since I generally run alone, I’ve taken a liking to running with my one and a half year old dog Tess. She’s a bit sporadic but she’s getting better. Firstly because I run with an iPod and Garmin – two very expensive pieces of equipment, Tess is security insurance for me – as the majority of Malawians are afraid of dogs. If I have a dog, no one would think about coming close to me. (I can’t wait till Muskoka is bigger and is dealing better with the leash. People will be terrified). My regular morning route starts out on the main roads outside my house. I like to get off them quick though, because of my lack of faith in the busy morning motorists and bicycles. Then you get on the back, quieter residential roads – but this is where you encounter the next hazard: street dogs. Mangy looking mongrels – some of whom do shockingly have homes, and others that just roam the streets. When alone, street dogs are only a minor hazard; if I’m running and they start to bark and come towards me, I stop running, yell and pick up a rock or a stick and they run away. Running with Tess is a different story though. The street dogs don’t take their leave so quickly.

Yesterday was the most major encounter with street dogs. I left on my run a little later than usual at 6:50am with Tess by my side. We turned onto our regular route, off the main road onto a winding dirt residential road. This is where the problems began. Dogs were everywhere! I imagine these mankey looking things had owners and as I was later than usual, the owners had let the dogs out (irresponsible so’n’sos). I stopped running, pulled Tess by the lead in close to me and walked the stretch. All went well, and I managed to keep all the dogs at a distance… until the end. We came across one dog who I do seem to encounter on all my runs despite the time or what route we take; HE IS ALWAYS THERE. Yesterday he must have been feeling brave, so he approached us, barking his little mankey head off. I kicked at him. He backed off, then came again. As I bent over to pick up a rock to throw at him, Tess decided to hold her ground and go at him a bit. . . and in the process dragging me flat on my face. The result, I’m pretty scrapped up and bruised on my arms, legs and hands. I also need to take a day or two off running as I’m pretty sure I did something to the muscle in my leg when I fell. Ah well, just another regular day.

 


Despite my depression about Jacaranda season being over, at the moment there are these absolutely gorgeous trees in blossom with vibrant orange flowers everywhere. This photo does not do it justice. I will do my best to take some more. Sometimes the beauty of this country still takes my breath away

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lesley said...

and btw...Canada is beautiful too-there are times and places that still take my breath away here...

Lesley said...

My first comment didn't get posted.. I thought that it was a dog bite on your leg when I first saw the photo and hadn't finished reading -I was already thinking RABIES...you will be the death of me yet...xoxoxo